Drinking Deeply

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 1:54 PM

A sleeping faith

I've been spending some time in Psalm 3 lately and I just thought it was interesting enough to share on the blog.

Psalm 3, A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.

3:1 O Lord, how many are my foes!
Many are rising against me;
2 many are saying of my soul,
there is no salvation for him in God. Selah

3 But you, O Lord, are a shield about me,
my glory, and the lifter of my head.
4 I cried aloud to the Lord,
and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah

5 I lay down and slept;
I woke again, for the Lord sustained me.
6 I will not be afraid of many thousands of people
who have set themselves against me all around.

7 Arise, O Lord!
Save me, O my God!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
you break the teeth of the wicked.

8 Salvation belongs to the Lord;
your blessing be on your people! Selah
What was particularly striking to me is this imagery of sleeping as an act of faith. Jesus sleeps on the boat in the midst of the storm and then rebukes his disciples, "oh you of little faith!" David again and again says that he finds rest in the Lord, that he can sleep because of God. Oh may I be able to find rest for a weary body and trust God. Tomorrow has enough worry for itself, sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought