Drinking Deeply

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 5:33 AM

God’s choice is not like picking teams on the playground

Deuteronomy 7:6–9 (ESV)
6 “For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession, out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth. 7 It was not because you were more in number than any other people that the Lord set his love on you and chose you, for you were the fewest of all peoples, 8 but it is because the Lord loves you and is keeping the oath that he swore to your fathers, that the Lord has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt. 9 Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations,

Why does God choose us and make us a treasured possession? Why does God set his love on us and choose us? It’s not because of our might and strength and power, but because God is keeping his oath, because God is the sovereign Lord of all! Israel doesn’t deserve God’s love just like we don’t deserve God’s love. We were not great, God did not decide, “oh yeah, Mickey is a smart guy, I’ll choose him for my team.” No, God’s electing choice of me points me out as foolish and weak, as empty and worthless to the world, but chosen in order that the world might be shamed. May I never forget my former ways of life, my hostility, my emptiness, my pride and boasting in my self. Praise the Lord, God saves sinners.

Labels: ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger J. H. Harris said...

Good way to put it. I'll confess, when I was younger I thought that the reason God chose me was because I was pretty awesome and he wanted me as a ringer for his team. I've learned a LOT more humility since then. :)  

~

Drop a thought