Drinking Deeply

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 4:29 PM

"Natural" explanations are pretty mindblowing

As I was driving through Nebraska and Iowa, I managed to end up driving right in between two spring storms traveling east. I had been chased out of the western half of Colorado by the first one, and it passed over me while I slept and I awoke to no rain and drove for the entire day (approximately 14 hours altogether, lots of breaks) without hitting a drop until the end of the evening. Much of it actually was fairly sunny. I felt like I was being ushered along by the gentled hand of God. Godspeed indeed!

As I was driving I realized that the naturalist would probably chuckle at my "reading into" everything this supernatural explanation. And then it struck me, a "natural" explanation for God's providence is far more mindblowing. God doesn't need to stop the winds or push clouds around in defiance of the natural laws, "all" He needs to do is to plan everything from the beginning of time of where I will be, where the winds will be, and what is going on, so that at those exact hours I would not need to worry about the winds or the rains.

And He has done that every day since the dawn of creation. Caring for and providing for His children in just exactly the right ways day in and day out. Sometimes by the miraculous, but all the time by general provision.

"Supernatural" is a misnomer. All of creation is not natural. It is sustained and preserved by the sovereign hand of Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 1
3 He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power.

Labels: ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought