Drinking Deeply

Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Need and God

I've been reading Piper's book A Hunger for God, which is on fasting and prayer. Mostly because I don't fast and I don't pray and yet there are the words, spoken by Jesus, "when you fast" and "when you pray..."

One thing that really jumped out at me was Piper's comments on Christ's fast in the wilderness and subsequent temptation by Satan. One of Piper's point is regarding the source of "man does not live by bread alone" verse:
Deut. 8:3 And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word[1] that comes from the mouth of the Lord.
Piper points out that God humbled and let them hunger in order to teach them to rely upon God.

After going through a particularly stressful week with lots of fears and questions up in the air, I really needed to hear that. The answer for my problems is always the same: The righteous will live by faith.

Yes, the weeks will be hard, work will be stressful, home may be difficult. But that all happens under the sovereign hand of a gracious God. All in order that I might learn to rely upon Him and not upon my strength, my intelligence, my charisma (hah!), or even my friends. He has been, is currently, and will forever, be the source of all strength and joy. Do I believe that?

I believe, help my unbelief.

Help My Unbelief
Taken from the Gadsby Hymnal #278
Words: John Newton, 1725-1807.

I know the Lord is nigh,
And would but cannot pray,
For Satan meets me when I try,
And frights my soul away.
And frights my soul away.

I would but can’t repent,
Though I endeavor oft;
This stony heart can ne’er relent
Till Jesus makes it soft.
Till Jesus make it soft.

Help my unbelief. Help my unbelief.
Help my unbelief.
My help must come from Thee.

I would but cannot love,
Though wooed by love divine;
No arguments have power to move
A soul as base as mine.
A soul so base as mine.

I would but cannot rest,
In God’s most holy will;
I know what He appoints is best,
And murmur at it still.
I murmur at it still.

Labels: ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Jerry said...

I think this is particularly convicting as well in terms of fasting:

"The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast in those days."  

~

Drop a thought