Drinking Deeply

Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Living for Christ

I think for me, on paper, (maybe inappropriately, but here are my thoughts) it seems very easy to die for Jesus. If someone puts a gun to my head, and says to reject Christ or die, then the Bible's black and white on this issue. He died for me, how could I refuse to die for him? That's what Christ commands us right?

Now, maybe when push comes to shove, my self-preservation instinct would actually be stronger than the black and white, and I would fold and give up my Savior for my life (Lord forbid!).

But that got me thinking - it seems so easy to "die" for Christ. But how willing would I be to live for him? Was I willing to put Christ at the front of every goal, every ambition, every plan, every hope and dream? Was I willing to sacrifice my future, my security, my comforts?

My first instinct is to say, "well, what will Christ ask of me?" which pretty much just shows the answer to all of that really is a flat "no."

Yet, this is the example that Christ set for us. He left relative obscurity and peace as well as (presumably) a stable job. He traded that all in for crowds that just wanted his miracles, apostles that would flee away at danger, mocking at the hands of his people, and certain death. Not only that, but he had the power to stop them. I think if I were tortured, we'd probably break down emotionally, but I'd endure it because there's nothing else I can do. Not so with Christ. He had the power to crush all of that, in an instant. And he turned that down, all for the sake of God and the joy set before him (Hebrews 12:2). Ummm, wow.

Yet I'm ashamed. The fear of man and his opinions govern what clothing I wear, what I say, who to evangelize, and so on. Sad.

Christ says that those who are faithful with little will be faithful with much (Luke 16:10). If God asks for my life, I'd like to think it is His, but really I'm only offering flesh and blood. And would I really be able to do that? God asks for my life in not just flesh and blood, but my being, my essence, my soul. A living sacrifice (Romans 12:1), not a dead one.

Christ died for me, not only so, but He lived for me. Can I live for Him?

In other news, we sang this song sometime this weekend, and it was pretty awesome -

Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah

1. Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah,
Pilgrim through this barren land.
I am weak, but Thou art mighty;
Hold me with Thy powerful hand.
Bread of heaven,
Feed me now and evermore;
Bread of heaven,
Feed me now and evermore.

2. Open now the crystal fountain,
Whence the healing stream doth flow;
Let the fire and cloudy pillar
Lead me all my journey through.
Strong Deliverer,
Be Thou still my Strength and Shield.
Strong Deliverer,
Be Thou still my Strength and Shield.

3. When I tread the verge of Jordan,
Bid my anxious fears subside;
Death of deaths, and hell's destruction,
Land me safe on Canaan's side.
Songs of praises, I will ever give to Thee;
Songs of praises, I will ever give to Thee.

Ending
Land me safe on Canaan's side
Bid my anxious fears, bid my anxious fear
Land me safe on Canaan's side
Bid my anxious fears, bid my anxious fears, goodbye

©2002 2037 Music (ASCAP).
admin. by The Loving Company.
Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought