Drinking Deeply

Saturday, June 07, 2008 at 2:12 AM

A universal answer

One of the kids I tutored (she's taking her last SAT this week and won't need help anymore... ever again *tear) mentioned to me during one of her fits of "I hate AP Physics so I am going to ask random questions and try to distract my tutor" that Christianity seems to provide the universal answer to everything. And I think that's totally right.

For a Christian, there really isn't anything to worry about. And even if we don't know the answers, we can still entrust it all to God. Why did this happen? Why did that happen? What is going on?

God, through all, in all, and over all. To Him be the glory forever. Whatever happens to my physical body, to my family, to my friends, to my church. God.

I still can't get away from the Heidelberg Catechism q: 1
Question 1. What is thy only comfort in life and death?

Answer: That I with body and soul, both in life and death, (a) am not my own, (b) but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ; (c) who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, (d) and delivered me from all the power of the devil; (e) and so preserves me (f) that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; (g) yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, (h) and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, (i) and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him. (j)

Not, "what is thy main comfort?" nor "what is thy only comfort in life?" but in life or death, a Christian has one comfort. One peace, one joy. Wow how easy it is to forget those precious truths. Things at work will blow up, or people will get annoyed, or siblings will bicker and bam that's gone.

But thankfully we don't find that rest in our ability to sustain that peace, but in God and His preservation of His people. Not a hair from my head can fall apart from His will.

Soli Deo Gloria To God alone be glory

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought