Drinking Deeply

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 at 2:30 PM

The probation of Christ

Still working through Biblical Theology by Vos. I'm almost done with it! Wahoo!

One thing that struck me is his remarks on the probation of Christ (or Christ's temptation).

He points out that in Matthew 12:29 Jesus speaks about the binding of the strong man and the ability to plunder his goods after doing so. Vos points out that since Jesus is using this point to respond to those who accuse him of driving out demons by the power of Beezebub, it must be the case that Satan was at that time now bound and Christ was plundering Satan's house (driving out demons).

Vos then goes to connect that to the temptation of Jesus (where he faced Satan face to face) as really the beginning of the ministry (must have come prior to the driving out of demons), and uses that to conclude that it is at that time that Satan is bound.

That makes a lot of sense to me after reading it, even though I initially believed that the binding of Satan was at the cross (where he defeats death once and for all).

But there is one huge question mark I put at that area.

Speaking of how exactly the probation of Christ relates to the casting out of demons, Vos writes -
"Thus far we have only found that deliverance from demons is traced back to [the temptation]. But we must further ask: on what principle? The principle is that of an anticipation of the fruits of Jesus' work based on the partial anticipation in principle of the work itself." (p. 334)

To which I reply, "huh"?

Pretty cool. The book is hard, but worth reading. I would put it up on my shelf as some of the most informative books I've ever read outside of the Bible. Maybe a fuller review later.

Labels: ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought