Drinking Deeply

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 at 10:32 AM

The Lord gives and He takes away

I discovered last week that my car, while still drivable, was going to require about $2000 in repairs eventually to keep it running. And as I was driving back, I was a little disappointed in myself for not making a better purchase, a little frustrated that people would be so shady as to sell lemons, and just all in all sad. Things were working so well.

And I was reminded of Job's testimony when far worse had happened.

Job 1:21-22

21 And he said, “Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.”

22 In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong.

In this really is the sovereignty of God at its best. If God is entirely for me and not against me. If He governs the oceans, the waves, the skies, the horses, and chariots, then why would one's car (or lack thereof) worry me at all? Rather, is it not true that all this happened for my good? All this happened for His glory? That whatever mistakes I may have made (and I'm sure that's many), they were all intended for good?

Indeed! I do not boast in horses, or in possessions, or in influence, or in power, but my boast is in the fact that my name is written in the book of life, and a God who was willing to send His Son to the death for me, will now say, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

The Lord is my portion, I will hope in Him.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Eric said...

You know, Mickey. I want to share some encouragement with you that's helped me when things like this have happened to me--you know, the unexpected. :)

Yes, God gives and He takes away. But we can take solace in the fact that He sustains our day-to-day existence. The very fact that we have our material possessions is cause for wonder and praise because God has gifted them to us. What may be an inconvenience to us may be an opportunity to give God glory and also to give us insight into what our priorities are.

I know it's a pretty frustrating time; but continue to call out and praise God for "tough times." I always find that we grow and mature the most in them, right? :-D  

~

Drop a thought