Drinking Deeply

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Irrationality and itching ears

Got into an interesting conversation the other day with some friends of my mother. They asked me what I thought of "Your Best Life Now" and I told them the truth, that while there were some things in it that hinted at biblical truth, the whole was filled with error and that Joel should be ashamed of calling himself a minister of the Word of God.

Not surprisingly at all, they were not too happy with such a view and we started talking. We covered all sorts of things: what the Bible does say, how do people's interpretations differ, how much error there was etc etc. What it really boiled down to was their refusal (just like my mother's) to really believe what Scripture says about Christ, His exclusivity, the absolute need for repentance and faith, sovereign election, and the like. Simply put, as one of them put it, "I just don't want to believe that."

Talked about how everyone has a right to their own opinion, at which point they were trapped, since I asked them if someone has a right to believe 2+2=5. "Of course not, but that's truth, not opinion." But is the existence of God, and the reality of judgment, and the necessity of Christ are just opinion and not truth?

Well, eventually they backtracked and ended with "so 2+2 = 5 depending on your opinion." To which I wanted to respond "well, then, depending on someone's point of view, you're stealing from your company, you're sleeping around, and you've raped 3 children last week" But reason won out and I just laughed at them as we sat down to eat dinner.

Throughout the whole conversation, they demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of the basic principles of Christianity (though one of them listened to Joel Osteen every week, hooray for sound biblical teaching) and it simply was just sad. How true Paul's words are today -

2 Timothy 4:
3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound [1] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.
I am also highly amused that everyone has an "interpretation" of Jesus, but no one really has read what He said!

I've given up on being frustrated by conversations like this. I still long for them to have true faith and repentance, but I don't want their lack of faith keep me from enjoying Christ. I wonder if that's a healthy view.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Evan said...

Stories like this rip my heart in two, yet at the same time it burns with anger that Joel would teach such things and that others would so blindly believe him.

Too bad I'm a sinner and have to make sure it's righteous anger.  

~

Blogger mxu said...

ditto bro. Always have to watch the heart.  

~

Drop a thought