Drinking Deeply

Friday, January 25, 2008 at 9:44 AM

A Christian as a designated driver?

I found myself in the enviable position of being surrounded by people who were getting drunk last night, and one of them started saying to me that she was sorry she was a sinner, and she hadn't touched a drop in over three months but she just hated this and that and so on, apologizing because I was judging her.

As I went to sleep I realized I really didn't do it right. While I suppose I was doing a "kind" (to the world) thing to help them by offering to be a designated driver, by offering them food and water and a place to stay if they needed, this was in no way the model of salt and light that Christ brings.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it was wrong to take care of a people who certainly brought it upon themselves, but I could have done much more for the case of a Christian love by seeking to stop them before it gets out of hand. Just thinking about salt and light makes me sad. How little I acted to preserve and protect my friends and how much I acted simply as a passive enabler for unhealthy and sinful habits.

How does that tie into the introduction? I think too often we as Christians (myself especially) have taken the "I'm not judging you" but never say, "go and sin no more." How often do we act as passive enablers and rarely as salt!

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought