Drinking Deeply

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 at 12:51 AM

ESV failings

As much as I love the ESV, there are definitely a couple places where I wish the translation were a little different.

!!! And it seems like the ESV agrees, the text that I have in my bible is different from that of the text online -

Mark 8:34 in my bible - "And he called to him the crowd with his disciples."

Mark 8:34 on ESV online - "And calling the crowd to him with his disciples"

The moving of the words "to him" after the object makes the sentence flow much smoother. I translated that verse in Greek the other day and I think the reason why they were together is because that one phrase "calling to him" translates one word in Greek, distinct from the "to call" but much more a "summon" or maybe "gathered." Unfortunately it's hard to keep the 'call to him' because that adds words that aren't really there, but hey, translation isn't a one-to-one onto mapping. ::shrug::

Here's a second one, which my housemate tells me is an idiom, but one that simply is confusing to me -

Mark 14:18 "...as they were reclining at table and eating"

Reclining at table? blargh, I don't like. The Greek word is (according to zhubert at least) translated - "(recline) at table, be a dinner guest." I guess it's just hard to translate one-for-one.

Yeah.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Evan said...

Lol, that table one is a bother... you'd think they'd have caught these things, but I didn't even realize your issue with it until I saw the definite article was missing.  

~

Blogger mxu said...

I think the omission of the article is deliberate because they're trying to use a phrase to translate a single word. The word doesn't mean just "recline" but rather more like "recline around a table, around dinnertime," so it makes sense that they avoid the article to make clear that there's actually no word for "table" in the greek.

I'm trying to think of a good alternative. Maybe "lounge" or "supped"? I don't know.  

~

Drop a thought