Drinking Deeply

Friday, November 17, 2006 at 12:20 AM

It's not you, it's me

Sometimes, I like to play the blame game.

When confronted (by loving friends, or even directly through the preached Word) with sin, one of the things I tend to do is to rationalize it away. "Well, I'm not familiar with the culture, I didn't know you would take it that way." "I was under a lot of stress, sorry ok?" "Hey, that's just how I am," and of course, my favorite, "Sanctification is a process." Good old taking truths that God has given to me and using them to excuse my sin.

I see myself echoing the game Adam and Even played back ages ago.

Genesis 3:12-13
12"The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate." 13Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this that you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate."
And too often, I forget that the call God makes of me is not just to operate as best as I can "under the circumstances," but actually to be perfect. (Matthew 5:48) That even when I was suffering, tempted, under strain and stress, that God is faithful and will not tempt me beyond what I can bear, and He will provide a way out. (1 Cor. 10:13)

It's not my parents, it's not my genetics, it's not the way I was raised, it's not you, but it's me. Those all have an impact upon me, and if the people around me are sinning and causing me to stumble, they will be held accountable (Matthew 18:5-6), but my sin is still my sin.

Lord, have mercy.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Wielding the Sword said...

Amen.  

~

Blogger cwu said...

"sanctification is a process" i've never heard that as an excuse, but i find it quite clever.

amen tho, sin is still sin. great reminder of how detrimental sin could be. thanks

cwu  

~

Drop a thought