Drinking Deeply

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 9:27 PM

The unity of God

One thing I love about singing Christian songs is that if they are scriptual, they are a great source for meditations upon God. Of course, that's even a stronger argument for memorizing Scripture, since our songs are not infallible.

But anyways, I was thinking through a song I greatly enjoy (Let Us Love and Sing and Wonder) and I came across this verse:
4. Let us wonder grace and justice
Join and point to mercy’s store
When through grace in Christ our trust is
Justice smiles and asks no more
He Who washed us with His blood
Has secured our way to God
And that got me to thinking about God and His wrath and His justice and I realized that sometimes I tended towards a view of God that seemed to partition His justice apart from His mercy and grace. I'm not saying that this song does it, but that sometimes I do it.

Sometimes the picture I have (simplified and exaggerated) is of God the Father being a consuming fire and deciding that He was going to cast me into the deepest pits of Hell and Jesus going, "Hey, don't do that, take me!" and Jesus is the loving son appeasing a wrathful father.

And in doing this, I forget about the unity of the Trinity. That though they are three different persons with different thoughts, roles, and relationships to one another, they are one in mind and purpose. Jesus prays for us to imitate the Triune God in John 17:11

11Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.

Because they are one in mind and purpose, there is no picture of a wrathful father and a loving son, but rather they are both people who hate sin and love sinners (the elect ones in this context). It is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit all affirming the will of the Father, which is/was/will be to many sons for glory. The Son dies for them, and the Holy Spirit regenerates them and works in them, all according to the Father's purpose and plan.

It's a love before the foundation of the world, a love while we were still sinners, a love that will not let us go. It's an unchanging love based upon the unity and immutability of God. Nothing can seperate us from the love of God.

Let us love and sing and wonder

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought