Drinking Deeply

Saturday, September 09, 2006 at 10:25 AM

Living and Active

Hebrews 4:12

12For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Over the course of this summer, I've had the opportunity to speak before a group of kids several times. I've talked on Psalm 130, Psalm 144, Joshua 1:1-5, Joshua 1:6-9, Hebrews 11, and 2 Kings 22-23/Nehemiah 8-9/Acts 2.

Each and every time, I've wrestled with the passage. Sometimes I felt like I "got it" and was able to give a message that said what the passage said, sometimes I felt like I missed the boat, I was trying to say what I wanted to say and that's all that came out.

One thing that I've discovered, is that the Word really is living and active (Like I needed personal testimony to establish a fact that Scripture tells me =p). I'm not saying that it changes it's meaning to suit us or to meet us where we're at, but that it is never just words on a page, it's always accompanied by the Holy Spirit. It cuts and judges me! There have been a number of times where in the course of preparing the message, I've just been so convicted that I have to stop and go for a prayer walk. There have been a few times, where the in course of reading the passage aloud during the course of the sermon that I'd get cut. I do hope the people listening were as convicted as I was, and I wish I was convicted more often.

There have been a number of times where I've sat through the jr. high service, and the message (though directed at the jr. high kids) would just cut me to the heart. The message was always simple, 20 minutes or so, but it'd be packed with truth and accompanied by the Spirit. My goodness.

Send revival, start with me.



Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Jessica said...

ptL =)  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tru dat, brother!

-ts  

~

Drop a thought