Drinking Deeply

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 1:31 PM

God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob

Something I noticed as I was preparing my sermon on Joshua 2.

I sort of already knew this already, but it was something about the passage that really hit home for me. It was the continuity between the Old and the New Testaments. That all these books are written by One God, inspired by One Spirit, and thus it's called Word.

One thing that really blew me away was the name of God as "God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."

Other names of God were like El Shaddai, Elohim, Adonai, YHWY, YHWY Yirah, and so on. And each name has a meaning we can dig into. Lord Almighty, God, Lord, Is/Am/Will Be, God Provider, and so on.

But when we come to a name like "God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob" God names Himself in relation to people. That He is God of Abraham. He is the God that Abraham worshipped. And Abraham was His. God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is a name that takes all those attributes of God, His holiness, His greatness, His sovereignty, His goodness, and makes it personal.

God wasn't just a God who has dropped a book out of the sky with a list of rules. But God was a personal God, a God who called people out of a world of sin and death. He called them for Him, so that they would enjoy Him and glorify Him forever. His plans weren't just world conquest (though that was certainly part of it!), but it's world worship.

And so I think of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and I realize that by His grace, I may now call Him, God of Mickey. Kind of funny sounding I must admit. I'll settle for Father.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought