Drinking Deeply

Sunday, August 27, 2006 at 5:58 PM

some followup thoughts on spiritual gifts

Someone directed me to this essay by Vern Poythress, entitled, "Modern Spiritual Gifts As Analogous To Apostolic Gifts: Affirming Extraordinary Works of the Spirit Within Cessationist Theology"

I am in general agreement with more or less all of it, though I do find his distinction in "prophet, priest, king" spiritual gifts to be rather unhelpful. If it's not explicitly biblical, and there exists much overlap, what's the point?

But anyways, Poythress is a self-affirmed cessationalist, and he makes some excellent points regarding the continuation of miraculous workings of spiritual gifts, whatever you call them.

Do also check out theocentric's two entries regarding spiritual gifts and revivalism. I agree with most, but not all his points. I' m still not sold on the 1 Cor. 13 point, though I do see how one comes to the conclusion about the closure of the canon.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought