Drinking Deeply

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 9:58 PM

A cute story and a prayer request

Over lunch on the last day of summer camp, I sat with my small group across from these two girls, maybe 7 or so. They were incredibly cute and it was good to talk to them. A friend asked me, "so are you going to teach them Calvinism too?" (I had been teaching everyone who had been willing to hear about the Doctrines of Grace), and I was like "sure, why not?"

So I proceeded to start asking questions.

"Who created everything in this universe?"
"Who owns it all?"
"Who controls it all?"
"Who allows this cup to exist?"
"Who prevents the cup from falling through the table?"
"Who controls you and me?"
"Who controls even Leo, who looks kind of mean?" (my friend =) )
"Who allows us to exist?"

and so on

And the two little girls would start (albeit a bit hesitantly), "God..? God.. God!"

And at that point, someone interrupted me and pointed out that there were two boys hitting people and saying "God did it!" and so I was like "oh shoot, need to hit the Gospel!"

And I started talking about justice and holiness and God's wrath and hatred of sin, and how He will punish it. At this point one of the girls had to go... I was kind of sad... she only got half the story!

I finally closed it off with God's promise in Christ and how that ties in with everything, namely that God knew and planned it all so that He could show His mercy in Christ, how sins were forgiven and the curse that we earned was paid.

Tying it all together, I talked about security and trust in God's sovereignty, that there was peace and rest, that even when bad things happen, they could trust God because He's in control, and He's got a loving plan.

Today I saw one of them after lunch. She was with her mother and ran across the gym floor, "hi!!" I said hello and asked her how her Lord's Day was and what she learned. She talked about boldness and how she can trust God because He's with us and He's stronger than everyone else. I was overjoyed that she remembered me (who remembers things as a 7 year old?), but I do hope she remembers the message of the Gospel more. If you have a moment, take a minute to pray for her? Her name is Elizabeth.

Mark 10:14b-16
"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 16And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Jessica said...

good job mickey, you got every girl who reads your blog to go "awwww..."
haha.  

~

Blogger Mike Cheng said...

The cutest stories are the ones that include teaching little girls about sin and judgment and punishment =).

I don't give little kids enough credit. They can probably understand more complex theology than many adults care to learn.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with teaching little kids to think biblical thoughts before they're old enough to really think for themselves... Well, if they're elect, they'll hold onto the gospel. I'll be praying that this is so for Elizabeth =).  

~

Blogger Joanna Martens said...

7 year olds pick up and remember alot. it was at that age that i knew my sin and i wanted to be a follower of Jesus. I asked Him into my heart after Awana. :-)  

~

Drop a thought