Drinking Deeply

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 at 9:30 AM

Book Meme

I've been tagged! Here's a book meme.

1. One book that changed your life (other than the Bible):

Back to Basics, this book basically introduced me to the greatness of the sovereignty of God, demonstrating it clearly from Scripture and walked through how it tied into all walks of life and wasn't just some dead doctrine that doesn't matter at all. I will say that this is one of the primary sources through which God really just... awakened me and gave me a thirst for His Word, theology, books, and all things God.

2. One book you've read more than once:

Sex and the Supremacy of Christ. The first reading was good. The second was amazing. I'm looking foward to a third in the future.

3. One book you'd want on a Desert Island:

Calvin's Institutes. I've never read it, but I am expecting great enough things from it that I'd like to read it enough that I'd take it with me.

4. One book that made you laugh:

Galatians, Paul's harshness, mockery, and sarcasm directed toward the Galatian church caused me to laugh a great deal. But then I remembered that those words could easily be directed to me. Yeah, then I stopped laughing.

5. One book that made you cry (or feel really sad):

Romans, specifically Romans 8:1. Such a powerful and freeing verse.

6. One book that you wish had been written:

How to get out of those most embarassing moments in a dignified manner.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:

I agree with Frank, so I'll just copy what he wrote here:

Wild At Heart
, by John Eldredge... Even the closest ones to Christianity can be the worst. It was probably the biggest waste of my time reading and definitely been one of the worst to try and show to people why it's not a great book. And also, Purpose Driven life. Ugh, just UGH! I don't even want to comment.

8. One Book You're Currently Reading:


Jonathan Edwards, a Life
by George M. Marsden

    9. One Book you've been meaning to read:

    Biblical Theology by Vos. I meant to buy it at the beginning of the summer, but I never got around to it.

    10. Now tag five people:

    1. Theocentric
    2. Jessica Luo
    3. Mike Cheng
    4. Alice C
    5. cwu

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    Blogger Charles M Cameron said...

    Just found your blog & wondered if you might be interested in my blogs - www.christinallthescriptures.blogspot.com & www.theologyofgcberkouwer.blogspot.com  

    ~

    Blogger cwu said...

    "Sex and the Supremacy of Christ. The first reading was good. The second was amazing. I'm looking foward to a third in the future."

    third time's a charm. =D lol  

    ~

    Blogger Jessica said...

    you tagged me! now i have to post.
    haha.

    thanks. i saw it on frank's blog and i was like, oh cool, i wonder what i would say to all these :)  

    ~

    Anonymous theocentric522 said...

    Hey...you gotta read Biblical Theology. I think you'll like it a lot. Maybe we should do some kind of book club? =D  

    ~

    Blogger Wielding the Sword said...

    You pointed out The Purpose Driven Life *cringes*. I often read what people write about these "wonderful books" on Amazon. Today I found something truly, truly heartbreaking:


    "I have found this book to be path breaking in my life. I am Hindu by religion and have followed the divine Book Bhagvad Geeta all my life. and after reading this book, "The Purpose driven life", i realised that whatever is written In Bhagvad Geeta(in Hinduism) is very similar to what is written in this Book, which is based on Bible. Like Bhagvad Geeta, this books too helps one find peace, bliss and helps one unite with God. This made me realise the eternal Truth that there is only one God in this universe . And that the different religions all over the world are just different paths to reach him. I now see no difference between my beloved Lord Sri Krishna and Jesus Christ. and I am thankful beyond means to this book for opening my eyes and expanding my horizon of love . May this Book touch the lives of many more and bless them all.
    - a Lord Krishna devotee and loves Jesus too"

    That is tragic.  

    ~

    Drop a thought