Drinking Deeply

Saturday, July 08, 2006 at 1:14 PM

Some of my favorite passages/stories

There are a few passages in Scripture that always get me really excited and refreshed. Some because they are of great convicting power, some because of the assurance they give, some because they serve as reminders and promises of the faith.

Top of the list would have to be Romans 8.

I love how it begins:

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

I love how it builds up from no condemnation, set free by the spirit, living in eager anticipation, groans of desire, hope of the future, the promises of God. If God is for us, who can be against us?! All things work for the good of those who love God, foreknown-> predestined-> called-> justified-> glorified. After reading it I always have to go *woosh* and exhale because I'd get really excited about it.

Another one I love is the Hall of Faith. Story after story of faith, men and women of whom the world were not worthy. People who considered the reproach of Christ greater than the riches of this world. These were men and women, who in spite of their failings, lived and walked by faith. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God! Wow!

Flowing out of this are the stories of the Binding of Isaac (which I've gone through so many times, through sermons, in bible study, in Hebrew) and Samson. People whom, God called, and they answered. Always call me and lead me to cry out in a desperate plea, "Increase my faith!"

Another favorite story is Elijah and the prophets of Baal. Instead of compromising with the culture, instead of despairing because he was the only one, Elijah challenges the priests of Baal to a supernatural duel, where God reveals His glory. The priests are defeated and slaughtered, and Elijah goes from his spiritual high to fleeing from persecution. What a flip! And yet God is faithful, He has reserved for himself five hundred who have not bowed knee to Baal. What glory! What power!

And Psalms, who could forget the beauty of Psalms? Luther called it a miniture Bible. The entire thing is pretty good. heh.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger cwu said...

aahh!! i love those stories too! especially elijah and the prophets of baal. oo daniel and the lions' den and "rack, shack, and benny" are awesome ones too!! hahahaha  

~

Blogger Wielding the Sword said...

I'm glad to see another person who loves Romans 8! I have discovered that Romans 8 is sooo much more precious if you start reading from Romans 7:14 ;).  

~

Drop a thought