Drinking Deeply

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 at 12:14 PM

Revisiting Tithing

I was reading through Malachi and came upon this passage. I've previously posted on tithing before, but this passage was so rich I was sad to have skipped over it before, so I decided to do a post on it.

Malachi 3
8Will man rob God? Yet you are robbing me. But you say, 'How have we robbed you?' In your tithes and contributions. 9You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing me, the whole nation of you. 10Bring the full tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the LORD of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need. 11I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not destroy the fruits of your soil, and your vine in the field shall not fail to bear, says the LORD of hosts. 12Then all nations will call you blessed, for you will be a land of delight, says the LORD of hosts.
Within this passage we see a link. Because the Israelites have robbed God, because they refused to bring their whole tithes in, God has punished them. They are needy and need rain for their crops (v. 10). Their crops that exist are getting devoured by locusts (v. 11a) and their vines have failed to bear fruit (v. 11b). Surely all these things would make an excellent excuse not to give. "God, we're needy right now, we can't give the whole tithe. We have no money, no crops, no firstborn."

But God makes it clear in this passage that the curses have come as a result of their lack of giving. And now God is calling them to give completely, give all the tithe, and so put God to the test. He will respond as He has promised, opening the windows of heaven and growing your seed, rebuking those who attack you. Nations will turn and recognize that they are blessed by God, and yours will be a land of delight!

So if you're in need. If you're struggling for finances. If you wonder how you're going to pay the next monthly bill, put God to the test. Acknowledge that all of what you have is God's, and 10% (or more!) given to the church is a sign of that. Skip the next movie you want to see or the next expensive meal you want to eat out, and give. Give to those who labor spiritually among you and deserve their wages.

So here's the call: Where your treasure is, there your heart is also.

And here's an interesting link.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Joanna Martens said...

This is so good!
I actually "owe" God but was hesitant b/c I was running low on cash- STUPID I'm a daughter of a King!
Thank you for posting it- such a blessing! It's amazes me the way God still blesses me despite my futile efforts and slip-ups.  

~

Drop a thought