Drinking Deeply

Thursday, June 22, 2006 at 4:40 PM

Proverbs 1:Wisdom's Call(10)

Moving along (at our snail's pace), we arrive at the promise of Wisdom to those who hear:
20Wisdom cries aloud in the street,
in the markets she raises her voice;
21at the head of the noisy streets she cries out;
at the entrance of the city gates she speaks:
22"How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple?
How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing
and fools hate knowledge?
23If you turn at my reproof,
behold, I will pour out my spirit to you;
I will make my words known to you.
v. 22 left us with a question: If Proverbs (and thus Wisdom) was all about giving discretion, teaching righteousness, and all those great things, why is it that people run from it, why is it that the simple love being simple, the scoffers delight in scoffing, and fools hate knowledge? (and these three phrases seen to describe common characteristics of one general group of people, rather than three)

v.23 answers that in presenting the promises of Wisdom:
23If you turn at my reproof,
behold, I will pour out my spirit to you;
I will make my words known to you.
Because this wisdom begins with a rebuke. What is this rebuke? The one that's stated in v. 22: "You're simple and you love being simple. You're a scoffer and you delight in scoffing. You're a fool and you hate knowledge." And the call is simple: turn! Stop doing that! Seek wisdom, stop mocking, love knowledge.

And the promises are so clear and awesome. If you do turn. If you do repent at the rebuke, then:
behold, I will pour out my spirit to you;
I will make my words known to you.
I love that phrase "pour out my spirit to you." Like in abundance. Overwhelming. A spirit of wisdom in abundance. Wisdom is calling to us. Come, turn, and hear and I will pour out my spirit to you!

What does it mean? The very next verse makes it clear: "I will make my words known to you." Now, it's not like they didn't already know these words. They certainly had heard it since Wisdom was calling in the streets, speaking in the markets. No, this "know" is a deeper know, a clarity, an understanding and application. People like to talk about "heart" vs. "head" knowledge. I personally don't. I would prefer to make the distinction between real knowledge and nothing. If you're not living it out, how can you actually say that you know it? Thus this isn't just a cognitive knowledge, but a knowledge that is lived out in wisdom, in practicing righteousness, justice, faithfulness, and discretion. It is this that will be poured out upon us if we turn at Wisdom's reproof.

So we have two responses yet again. We can reject this and say "we're good enough, we're not stupid, we can make it." Or we can turn, hear, submit and obey.
22"How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple?
How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing
and fools hate knowledge?
23If you turn at my reproof,
behold, I will pour out my spirit to you;
I will make my words known to you.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Anonymous ebed said...

very awesome  

~

Drop a thought