Drinking Deeply

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 1:45 PM

Sometimes you need that simple reminder

Acts 17:24The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, 25nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything.

I was talking with a friend this morning and mentioned how difficult it seemed to be now that I had time on my hands. I felt... moody and lonely and all sorts of other weird emotions that I knew I had experienced before, but couldn't give name nor reason. Thinking a bit, I realized part of it was simply that I felt like I wasn't "useful" anymore. No longer was I serving in FiCS, no longer was I meeting with people on a regular basis. I felt like... a body and I was asking "what am I doing here?"

Then my friend pointed out that he had struggled with the same thing, and he really just had to remember that God didn't need him. That he wasn't saved because God needed someone with his specific skills and personality in order to further the kingdom of heaven.

I really needed that. God didn't need someone to be president of FiCS for 2005-2006. God doesn't need a math major. God doesn't need someone who loves to discuss and share and debate and think. God doesn't need me. But God saved me not because of who I was, what I had done, or even because of what I was going to become, but for His Name and by His mercy. Who was I to think that I could come to God and say, "Oh look what I've done. Look at this ministry. Look at this small group. Look at these relationships. Look, look, look" ?

To wash away the crimson stain,
grace, grace alone availeth,
Our works, alas, are all in vain
in much the best life faileth.
No man can glory in thy sight
all must alike confess thy might

and live alone by mercy
and live alone by mercy.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought