Drinking Deeply

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:04 AM

Car rides

You know, some of the best conversations I've had have been in those long(ish) car rides. 45 minutes+. Dropping someone off at the airport. Trip down to LA. Driving up to retreat sites. They've always provided such a good (private) time to push past all the "the weather is nice" stuff and hear how people are really doing, to share prayer requests, to ask pressing questions... discussion that, for some reason or another (namely: fear, on my part), never really get brought up otherwise. There's something about a car that makes things feel secure. Something about a companionship that's found there that I haven't really found elsewhere quite so often, not even on "male bonding activities" that I like to put together.

Thank you, my dear brothers and sisters. You know who you are. Thank you for the countless rides, for giving me the opportunitiy to share in that fellowship. For being honest and allowing me to be honest. Out of the many things here at Stanford, I will say that the rides, not the destinations but the rides, have been some of the most meaningful for me.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Frank Martens said...

word  

~

Drop a thought