Drinking Deeply

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 at 1:39 PM

Some things to think about

1. Is it appropriate to use a lack of explicit declaration of one's spiritual beliefs in an autobiography as grounds for assuming someone isn't a believer? (I'm not talking about Christian fiction, but specifically an autobiography-like memoirs book)

2. Psalm 103 begins: Bless the Lord O my soul...

What does bless mean? I'll be honest, it doesn't fit in with my personal definition of bless right now.

3. What is one to do when asked by a non-religious person to pray for the meal?

I usually politely decline because I don't want to use it as a time for preaching at them (though Lord willing the Gospel comes through through that conversation or later), yet I feel uncomfortable interceeding with God as if they were believers.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Joanna Martens said...

Here are my convictions:
1.) not sure what you meant here.
2.) Bless = give glory by praising.
3.) I'm glad you brought this up. If someone asked me to pray over a meal in the midst of unbelievers I would praise God for the opportunity to STATE what is already TRUTH: God is sovereign Lord. Simply thanking Him for His providence in supplying food in Jesus' name is just that- simply thanking Him.
you get 10 more bonus points.  

~

Blogger jefe said...

"I feel uncomfortable interceding with God as if they were believers."

what do you mean by that?  

~

Blogger mxu said...

Hmm, maybe the word choice was not the best. Let me try to explain.

When thanking God prior to a meal, I like to praise Him and request that he would use the food to nourish our bodies so that we may better worship Him.

When asked by a group of people whom either a) worship a false God or b)don't worship a God at all, this poses a slight issue for me because I am uncomfortable praying for these superficial blessings without praying for the greatest blessing of all, a conviction of sin leading to repentance and an acceptance of Jesus Christ as the only Lord and Savior under which they may be saved.

Thus I have a couple choices: 1) Pray for the meal, but pray inwardly for their salvation. 2) Pray for both 3) do something else.

The phrase you quoted refers to my issue with 1). I don't feel like it would be intellectually honest with those who are listening.  

~

Drop a thought