Drinking Deeply

Sunday, March 05, 2006 at 4:07 PM

Lord's Day 4

Q. But doesn't God do us an injustice by requiring in the law what we are unable to do?
A. No. God created human beings with the ability to keep the law. They, however, tempted by the devil, in deliberate disobedience, robbed themselves and all their descendants of these gifts.

Q. Will God permit such disobedience and rebellion to go unpunished?
A. Certainly not. God is terribly angry about the sin we are born with as well as the sins we personally commit. As a just judge God punishes them now and in eternity. God has declared: "Cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the things written in the book of the law." 2

Q. But isn't God merciful?
A. God is indeed merciful but also just. Divine justice demands that sin, committed against God's supreme majesty, be punished with the supreme penalty eternal punishment of body and soul.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Eric said...

One of the things that's always bugged me about this truth is that I don't believe (and I don't think you believe) God affirmatively created Adam and Eve and then let them procreate biologically and spiritually without further active intervention. This leads me to the following apparent problem: even if my first father and mother were able to do "the law" right out of the box, so to speak, I certainly was not born with that ability. So if God really created me, and not just the process by which I came to be, then God created me without the ability to do that which he requires of me. And I think it is plain that God really did create me personally, not just the process by which I was born. Do you have any thoughts on this issue? I have my own, but I'd like to hear yours.  

~

Blogger mxu said...

I'm confused. Where is this an issue?

I affirm that due to the fall, I no longer have the moral ability in myself to obey God's Law. This cause effect relationship is (and must) be attributed to God, as I believe He is sovereign (and by sovereign, I mean active and willful control of every thought, action, molecule) in all things.  

~

Anonymous theocentric522 said...

your answer sounds like Eccles. 7:29. I affirm this with you. Yet, I don't affirm the philosophical assumption that moral ability is necessary for moral accountability. I'm pretty sure you don't mean this, but just thought I throw it out for clarity sake.

God can create vessels of wrath without the ability to become vessels of honor, and still, holds them accountable for their sins. God will have mercy on whom He will have mercy. I think I read that somewhere in the Bible. ;)  

~

Blogger Eric said...

Well, the problem you quoted is "doesn't God do us an injustice by requiring in the law what we are unable to do?" The quoted answer can be paraphrased as "No, because once upon a time we were able to do what the law requires." While I agree that once upon a time we were so able, we aren't any more (or any way we aren't born that way).

But suppose somebody were to say, "Yes yes yes, I know that two human beings were created with the ability to do what the law requires, but today's human beings are not. This isn't just a case of God's design gone wrong; it's a case of God deliberately designing the universe to screw human beings. Isn't that unjust?" This seems to me to be the more likely form for the question to take in real life, and it is no answer to the question in this form to say, "Well, Adam and Eve were created with the ability to keep the law, so it's not unjust." Theocentric gives two possible answers: you could attack the premise of the objection ("I just don't see how it's unjust for God to require you to do something you cannot nor ever will be able to do"), or you could simply defy the objection ("it might seem unjust, but who are you, O man, etc.?"). I can think of one other answer, but it's one that I think only an Arminian would see any sense in. I'm just curious if you can think of any others.  

~

Blogger mxu said...

Eric -

Yes, in this case I would agree with Theocentric's 2 responses, both of which I believe are biblical and explicit.

I cannot think of another biblical response. (and I see no need of one)  

~

Drop a thought