Drinking Deeply

Monday, February 20, 2006 at 3:24 PM

Teach the children

One of the most beautiful things I see around me is parents taking an interest in their child's spiritual development. Twice this year I have had the blessing to meet with someone who asking about Stanford and it's religious life. Both times they brought along their father and it was such an encouragement. Not only was the kid interested in how the Christian faith was a part of Stanford, but it was clear that this interest comes from a father figure who loves the Lord and seeks to glorify Him by raising children for Him.

In a similar way, I have seen great fruits at my home church, where the people I've had the blessing to learn from and serve alongside have all been children of parents who fear the Lord and pass on that reverance to their children.

These are all reminders of God's promise that He works through families. This promise is for you and your children and all those who are far off. That through the faithful discipleship relationship that He established in the family, He will call His people.

I'm not saying that those born into Christian families will automatically become Christians, but I'm reflecting on how true it is that God promises that He will work through families.

Psalm 78:1-8


1Give ear, O my people, to my teaching;
incline your ears to the words of my mouth!
2I will open my mouth in a parable;
I will utter dark sayings from of old,
3things that we have heard and known,
that our fathers have told us.
4We will not hide them from their children,
but tell to the coming generation
the glorious deeds of the LORD, and his might,
and the wonders that he has done.

5He established a testimony in Jacob
and appointed a law in Israel,
which he commanded our fathers
to teach to their children,
6that the next generation might know them,
the children yet unborn,
and arise and tell them to their children,
7so that they should set their hope in God
and not forget the works of God,
but keep his commandments;
8and that they should not be like their fathers,
a stubborn and rebellious generation,
a generation whose heart was not steadfast,
whose spirit was not faithful to God.

Teach your children! That they should set their hope in God and not forget the works of God! That they would not repeat the mistakes we make, the mistakes that turn us away from God.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger ts said...

i agree. a family that serves the Lord together is a wonderful thing. one of the reasons i decided to really commit my life to serving God was because i saw how my own family (my parents, brothers, and sister) have been affected these 20 years since my father accepted Christ.

when i was studying at the university, i stayed with one family in my church and witnessed how they served God together. their home was open for church ministry all the time, and it was used throughout the week for counseling, bible study, and fellowship. i was really impressed and promised to have that type of home for my own family in the future.  

~

Blogger Doug E. said...

That's a very important point you made.

God Bless,

Doug  

~

Blogger Joanna Martens said...

Proverbs 22:6
"Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it."

I love your posts. ;-)  

~

Drop a thought