Drinking Deeply

Sunday, February 05, 2006 at 8:19 PM

A quick thought

I feel like I have a lot to post about, but haven't worked up the motivation.

A quick thought though, especially after watching the Superbowl and seeing all these commercials for "Gray's anatomy" come up.

1) The superbowl seemed to be focused upon "reliving the past." They had a collection of past superbowl MVPs walk by at the beginning. They had the rolling stones play at the halftime show... but all of these people were people that no one really remembers anymore (except a few). I guess there are people that still like the rolling stones... but really, these are people who's accomplishments are done once... and then quickly forgotten.

What will be remembered forever though?

Matthew 26:6-13

6Now when Jesus was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, 7a woman came up to him with an alabaster flask of very expensive ointment, and she poured it on his head as he reclined at table. 8And when the disciples saw it, they were indignant, saying, "Why this waste? 9For this could have been sold for a large sum and given to the poor." 10But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, "Why do you trouble the woman? For she has done a beautiful thing to me. 11For you always have the poor with you, but you will not always have me. 12In pouring this ointment on my body, she has done it to prepare me for burial. 13Truly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will also be told in memory of her."

The things we do today for men will pass away as men pass away, but the things done for God (which are graciously given by God Himself [Eph. 2:10]) will be remembered forever.


2) TV shows are interesting. Some of them seem to always continually remind me of the depravity of man. People who are seeking after a continual joy found in relationships, in physical acts, in addiction, in excitement... but all these things are so... worthless!

I am reminded of Screwtape's advice to young Wormwood in C.S. Lewis' "Screwtape Letters" where he says (paraphrasing) "the key to a man's soul is an ever increasing desire for an ever diminishing pleasure."

Dear world,

Christ is the well. Christ is the living water. Drink and you will never be thirsty again. You have sought after false idols, unfulfilled dreams, and worthless things. I beg of you, turn and repent!

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Joanna Martens said...

I completely understand what you are talking about. I am interning this semester at a production company in Los Angeles. You wanna talk superficial frivilous passions grasping for the wind? I'm your gal. The more I look around me surrounded by the consistant "every thing's an emergency" attitude are constant reminders of how gracious God is to me in revealing HIs true worth and priceless treasure- Himself. These people around me only care about where they are going in life, their career, marriage, vacation, money. IT's heartbreaking that life could end at any moment for them and stand before a holy God empty handed. Yet I still am timid with sharing the gospel- I pray the Lord gives me grace to share with these people. Most of them probably won't care, or think I'm weird, but at least they heard it.
Thank you for your post, it was really encouraging to me. :-) I'm praying for you! God bless and look to the Sustainer of all things!  

~

Drop a thought