Drinking Deeply

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 2:59 PM

Joy in suffering

Two beautiful pictures of joy in suffering, living it out. One by a pastor I look up to (and sometimes wonder if I idolize), John Piper posts on his battle with cancer. Another one by a (I presume) lay person who I never met and only heard on the phone while I was at Resolved, where I was moved to tears at the depths of compassion and trust in this man's life. I emailed him and today received a response. An excerpt of his email, sent in response to people who emailed him after Resolved:
I want to say "Thank you" for taking time to encourage me so much. God has used you in my heart to encourage me and remind me to trust in His sovereignty. There have been many times since my hospitalization that I have miserably failed to trust. Fear, doubt, selfishness and pride have taken over at times but he is so faithful to forgive me and strengthen me. I am so glad that the Lord allowed me to encourage some of you at Resolved and I am looking forward to meeting you face to face if the Lord wills. I wish I could say that everything you heard from me on the phone was true, but I feel like I need to let all of you know that I was doing my best to speak Truth but my own heart falls away from that so easy. I am sure "some" (all) of you know what I am talking about. I am glad that we are all in this war together (1 Peter 2:11; 1 Timothy 6:12)!
A simple confession of dependence by a man after God's glory. I pray and hope that God would grant me the faith to face my mistakes and to delight in weakness.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Donnie said...

Thank you for posting this. Very encouraging indeed. More importantly, very humbling.

I pray along side you.  

~

Drop a thought