Drinking Deeply

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 at 1:42 PM

Reading Deeply

It's been a while for one of these posts, mostly because I've been busy and haven't been reading as many blogs as I used to.

But here are some good articles that have crossed my path:

CoffeeSwirls thinks we should fire our youth pastor. I agree. The comments section is insightful as well.

The A-Team blog posts on the need for men to be in charge because they are better equipped to seek justice rather than be empathetic. The post is by a woman. I thought it was particularly interesting.

Reformation Theology posts on the sovereignty of God. It ends with this quote by C.H. Spurgeon:

"There is no attribute of God more comforting to his children than the doctrine of Divine Sovereignty. Under the most adverse circumstances, in the most severe troubles, they believe that Sovereignty hath ordained their afflictions, that Sovereignty overrules them, and that Sovereignty will sanctify them all. There is nothing for which the children of God ought more earnestly to contend than the dominion of their Master over all creation - the kingship of God over all the works of His own hands - the throne of God, and His right to sit upon that throne. On the other hand, there is no doctrine more hated by world-lings, no truth of which they have made such a football, as the great, stupendous, but yet most certain doctrine of the Sovereignty of the infinite Jehovah. Men will allow God to be everywhere except on His throne." - C. H. Spurgeon

Pyromaniac has stopped blogging... and restarted a group blog Pyromaniacs. I'm excited to see what they come up with. Check out this post on Lone Ranger Christians. And as I was typing up this post, they came out with another one on Satanic compassion.

9 Marks Ministries reviews Blue Like Jazz. Tough call. Something sounds overly harsh about the review, but I agree with it.

Reflections of the Times shares a story proclaiming God's sovereignty and grace in the midst of pain.
If it takes these painful attacks for Him to get my attention and bring me to my knees, then so be it. Oddly enough, I have a closer fellowship with Him in those times, than in my daily prayer time. I suspect you can all understand why.

See that graphic down there? To God be the glory. And amen.
I'm reading Piper's "The Passion of Jesus Christ." Insightful and biblical. Humbling and convicting.

Here's a question to throw out there for the thinkers:

As people who have been born again, saved by grace, no longer slaves to sin, is it appropriate to refer to ourselves as sinners? For it is no longer sin that defines us, but Christ. No? Yes? Thoughts? Overthinking? What does the Bible say?

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought