Drinking Deeply

Thursday, December 08, 2005 at 2:36 PM

Response (3)

I felt like I could firmly believe in predestination, that God was in absolute control of my life, simply because of the fact that if I was in charge, my life would be in tatters. But yet at the same time, it seems like believing that God is in control allows me to kind of escape many of the issues that I need help dealing with. I see myself responding to a great number of things simply with "Well, God's in charge and there's nothing I can do." which seems like a wrong mentality. I'm not saying that depending on God is wrong, but this belief that I don't have to do anything, but yet that's the mentality I see myself sinking into.

Hopefully, by now, we observe the clear dangers of this sort of mentality. If we believe in God's sovereignty in all things leads us to sit back and not do anything, then we lack a full understanding of what the implications of God's sovereignty is.

It doesn't mean that God accomplishes His ends without the means, but that it is God who is using the means to accomplish His ends. In one sense, that does give us a deep sense of trust in knowing that it is ultimately God who is behind all things, and it is not some impersonal "fate" at work, but it is a loving, kind, and just God who is doing so. We can acknowledge that God is behind all things and trust that it is Him who is working things out for His glory.

At the same time, we are commanded to obey His commandments. We are called to "work out [our] salvation with fear and trembling." Our lives and our salvation depend upon us persevering.

But always remember the second half of that verse (Phil. 2:12-13) "for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure." Ultimately all glory goes to God and all honor goes to God. It is God who is working in us to "will and to work for his good pleasure." When you do a good deed, it was prepared in advance for you to do (Eph. 2:10), when you sin, it was still a sin, but it is one that God is using (and had planned to use) for His ultimate glory. (Eph. 1:11)

This gives us a trust in God, that even when we screw up, it's for His glory. But it also gives us an incentive to work at things, because it is God who holds us accountable for all things. Every word, every deed, every thought.

Can I take this time to point to the cross? As you learn more and more, you'll learn more and more about your own sinfulness. As that happens, flee more and more to the cross. Confess your sins boldly, repent of them, turn away. Always always trust in God, plead with God to free you. You cannot do it yourself, and you need His Spirit to free you from the Law, and free you to obey the Law. It is in Christ alone our hope is found. He is the prefect righteousness. Apart from Him, we are nothing, can do nothing, and our works are blood soaked rags.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger loren said...

Wow, what a 'coincidence', I just posted something new on predestination, 15 minutes ago. If you get a chance, you might find it helpful. The Lord bless you.  

~

Drop a thought