Drinking Deeply

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 at 8:41 PM

Reading Deeply

A few reads I'd like to plug before I head off to my church's winter camp.

Steve Hays looks at the emotional problem of pain and concludes that it's actually an intellectual one in disguise.

Reformation Theology examines the current secular attack on the doctrine of Hell and discusses it's necessity to Christianity.

I linked to this earlier, but it was such a good post it deserved mention in one of these Reading Deeply posts. Chang at Theocentric22 posts on the post-millenial view of Christmas. While I don't know if I'm post-mill or what, I agreed greatly with his views.

Darren over at godmadescience (another xanga) discovers how to RSS subscribe to xangas.

I know I've mentioned it before, but check out The Roof Guys. I've been subscribed to it for a few weeks and been mad blessed and convicted.

On a separate note, I had the blessing to visit Bryan and Daniel, friends from my fellowship up at Stanford. That was awesome, getting to meet their parents and to get a close up picture of godly parents raising godly children. Oh, and Korean food is excellent.

Blog of the post: I've recently added Puritan Belief to my blogroll. The posts are short, sweet, insightful, and above all, biblical. Check it out.

As for books, I've been reading a few books lately but I'll highlight two, one I just finished and one I am reading through.

Prayer and Revelation
by Vincent Cheung (a reread) was an excellent read, demonstrating how we should dethrone experience and enthrone Scripture when it comes to prayer. Filled with biblical insight and addressing how we can apply our knowledge about God to our prayers to God, it was a blessing to read.

I'm currently reading through Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan. A great allegory and filled with Scripture. It follows the life of a character named Christian as he meets the trials and tribulations (mound of despair) of seeking God. A fun read and it's very easy to see myself in it.

Well, I'm off to wintercamp. No posts till the 1st or so.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Anonymous Puritan Belief said...

Pilgrims Progress is a great read. What I find amazing is that John Bunyan wrote it while he was in jail. Along with lots of other books. This man defenitely got a lot of his doctines right otherwise they wouldn't have locked him up.

I am going to have to get my copy out again and freshen up.  

~

Blogger Daniel Mann said...

I am new here.
It looks like you got a great blog.
I love John Bunyan's work. I received for Christmas an yearly edition from the 1800's John Bunyan's "Pilgrims Progress", from England. Buyan's book "Holy War" is a great read as well.

God bless you much.
Soli Deo Gloria  

~

Blogger Doug E. said...

That book you are reading called prayer and revelation sounds great. Thanks for the heads up! Now I know where to spend some of my Christmas money. :-)

Doug  

~

Drop a thought