Drinking Deeply

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 2:09 AM

Reading Deeply

Nothing much of note these past few days. Working on a compare/contrast Justification by Faith Alone and Justification by Faith (and Works) paper. I'll post it up later once I polish it a little. I still need to work on my death penalty series.

Some links though:

Jollyblogger gives some Christmas thoughts. Happy Invasion Day!

John MacArthur posts on how doctrine is practical.

An excerpt
The word doctrine simply means "teaching." And it's ludicrous to say that Christ is anti-teaching. The central imperative of His Great Commission is the command to teach (Matthew 28:18-20).


Vincent Cheung posts on how the Gospel is accompanied by spiritual power and the necessity to teach the nations.

Blog of the post is Joshua Harris, author of "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" (eh), "Boy meets Girl" (whoa) and "Stop Dating the Church" (which I've heard is a "wow," but haven't read). Two excellent posts by him have been: biblical advice for the blogosphere and preparing sermons

Now, some of you may ask "why should I read a post on preparing a sermon? God hasn't called me to preach!" To that I would respond, "well, maybe God hasn't called you to preach, but you are called to 'teach the nations,' and part of that is rightly dividing the Word of God. Maybe you may never be asked to preach, but you should be able to do a good enough bible study that you know what to each text teaches and how to communicate that to the audience."

By the way, I don't entirely agree with Josh on the necessity of illustrations, I think his last point is far more dangerous than people may give credit for and it is entirely possible to communicate something with words rather than an illustration. Nonetheless it is an excellent post, conveying a mentality of thought that I wish all pastors, small group leaders, and lay people could come to when approaching the Word.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought