Drinking Deeply

Friday, December 16, 2005 at 3:24 AM

Provision

For some reason, I'm always a little heisitant to share personal details. Not sure why.

But this was too awesome not to share.

It requires a little setup though.

Yesterday I read Luke 17:5-6

5
The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!" 6And the Lord said, "If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it would obey you.

I was like "WHAT?" Now, I knew that oftentimes Jesus answered unasked questions, but I saw no connection at all between what the apostles asked and what he said. What did being able to uproot mulberry trees have to do with increasing faith?

Thus I was asking a lot of people I knew what it meant. Not too many satisfactory answers coming. But then I asked a group of RUFers and one of them mentioned "wouldn't knowing that just a tiny bit of faith in God could do amazing things increase your faith?"

well duh! How come I didn't think of that?

Well ok, so that's that.

Tonight, I was lying in bed and I couldn't sleep. I realized a great part of it was that these past few weeks I felt my spiritual walk wandering a little bit. Some of it was finals, some of it was laziness, but all in all, I just had not wanted to do anything. Sometimes I did my QT, sometimes I didn't.

I realized that a great deal of it was due to the fact that FiCS and RUF no longer had small groups or large groups these last two weeks. That coupled with a Sunday that I was dissapointed in led to just a lack of feeding for me and a lack of community I guess.

So I got out of bed and grabbed a journal and my Bible, because I really needed to pray. I was anxious about going home, anxious about losing more and more of my walk since home was not the best of circumstances for me in the past. I started praying through Psalm 16. I journaled and prayed through about 3 verses over the course of 30 minutes.

1Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
2I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord;
I have no good apart from you."

3As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones,
in whom is all my delight.

I guess I was feeling kind of alone. Like going home wasn't going to be fun. So I wrote down the verses, meditated upon it, prayed through it, and then I had a thought, "I need to pray with someone."

I was deliberating sending an email out to some friends in hopes one would be awake, or waking up my roomate, when in walks Adam Harris! (3AM)

So I shared a bit. Worries, concerns, struggles, and we prayed. Simply amazing. God really did provide for me in such a way I could not have expected. PTL.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Frank Martens said...

Dude I've been wayning (slacking) on my quiet time a bit lately too.

I think it's mostly due to the fact that I haven't been leading a small group Bible study anymore. I spent a lot of time studying and preparing for it sometimes.

So I feel ya, keep me in your prayers, I need it as I work through some stuff.  

~

Blogger Milton Stanley said...

The Lord certainly does provide, doesn't he? Thanks for sharing your experiences.  

~

Drop a thought