Drinking Deeply

Sunday, December 25, 2005 at 12:31 PM

Peace of God (3)

So I was going to point out that our peace with God is not all. I wanted to talk about how Christ has also come to (eventually) bring a reign of peace upon the earth.

After all, the prophecy does say in Isaiah 9:6-7)
6For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,
on the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish it and to uphold it
with justice and with righteousness
from this time forth and forevermore.
The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this.
And then I wanted to talk about how Jesus says that He has not come to bring peace, but a sword. And point to our hope that what Jesus accomplished on the cross (our reconciliation with God) is not entirely His task (peace of the world with God, and in that, with one another).

But then I woke up this morning and found this post by the former youth director of my church, which puts it in much better terms than I do. Go and read it.

I think there's another post coming to focus in on the "peace with God, war with world" aspect.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Anonymous Bible and Apologetics Teacher said...

Wow - that's quite a bit of material to think on! It's a lot of stuff, and I don't think I would have made that connection with my own post unless you had mentioned it. :)  

~

Anonymous Bible and Apologetics Teacher said...

Oh... that was me (Darren), by the way. :)  

~

Anonymous Puritan Belief said...

I must say I love Isaiah 9:6 onwards the government was established when Jesus died at Calvary which bought freedom and peace and eternal life for if we die with Christ we will also live with Him.

When we are born into this kingdom Jesus becomes our Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Before this we hated the things of God for there is no peace with Jesus "in the ways of the world" yet when we are born again we are under a new government which will never end.  

~

Drop a thought