Drinking Deeply

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 8:25 PM

Peace of God (2)

So last post I was thinking about the peace of God, but then ended up talking about the wrath of God! How crazy is that?

Well anywho, where does that leave us? We who were deserving of wrath became somehow children of God. What happened?

Continuing in Hebrews 2:
9But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

10For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering. 11For he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one origin. That is why he is not ashamed to call them brothers,12saying,

"I will tell of your name to my brothers;
in the midst of the congregation I will sing your praise."

13And again,

"I will put my trust in him."

And again,

"Behold, I and the children God has given me."

Now, I'll confess I don't quite understand the "make perfect through suffering" part, but the crux of the passage is that God came into this world in power to save us from what we could not save ourselves from. Though He was sustaining every moment, every thought, every action with His decrees, God chose to enter flesh in the Christ in order that He might deliver the children of Abraham. That through His death, He might destroy death. (This kind of sounds like the ending of Matrix 3, those plagairizers! [the makers of Matrix 3 that is] ).

Christ voluntarily took on the beginning of Psalm 22 upon His own lips:
1My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?
2O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer,
and by night, but I find no rest.
So that He might also say:
22I will tell of your name to my brothers;
in the midst of the congregation I will praise you:
23You who fear the LORD, praise him!
All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him,
and stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel!
24For he has not despised or abhorred
the affliction of the afflicted,
and he has not hidden his face from him,
but has heard, when he cried to him.
With the wrath of God fulfilled and carried out, we, as adopted children of God are at peace with God. We have been promised the inheritance that Christ in His sinless life deserved, that we are allowed to enter His rest.
14Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, 15and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. 16For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham. 17Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. 18For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.
This is the promise of peace of God. It is a peace with God. Verse 15 tells us that we are delivered from our lifelong slavery. Remember Ephesians 2? We were following Satan, but Christ has freed us from that. This isn't just some "peace on earth" type of promise (though that actually is part of it, yet unfulfilled, next post), it is a "peace with God" in spite of all trials and war on earth.

This is such an awesome point that I think I could talk about it for post after post. Go and read Romans 8, which begins, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Mind blowing, awesomeness, grace, beauty, mercy, blessing, all wrapped up in one short sentence. No condemnation.

But the glory of the cross (to us) is only as big as the gap between us and God. As we look upon ourselves and see our sinfulness, how small we are, how deceitfully wicked, it is then that we can look upon God and see His glory, His greatness, His mercy.

So remember your sins, remember that each one is deserving of death and eternity. Remember how you slander your friends and enemies, how you lie, cheat, steal. You may be better than the person down the street, but in God's eyes you were no better than a worm.

But just as importantly, remember the Cross. Remember your Savior. Remember that though your works were as worthless rags, God chose you and redeemed you, adopting you as His own. With that promise, though the world may not be put in place, though you may never feel quite at ease with everyone, you have a peace with God, a peace that can never be taken away.

Godward Thoughts has a great post on a similar topic.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Doug E. said...

Great post!

I love to hear the Gospel.

Thanks for linking to my post. I had almost put a comment about the Heb. 2 passage you mentioned. I guess our heads are in the same place right now.

Regarding the "made perfect through suffering passage" My understanding is that His suffering made Him perfect to be our preist because He can sympathize with us in our suffering. The true answer is probably a bit more complex than that, but I thought I would give it a shot.

God Bless,

Doug  

~

Drop a thought