Drinking Deeply

Sunday, December 04, 2005 at 3:03 PM

An email from my younger self

So I was searching through old emails and I stumbled upon this one, which I found very interesting and gives a good glimpse of how much God has transformed me. It raises a lot of concerns about the Reformed doctrine of predestination that I now see to be easily answerable, and I think it would be a good excercise to answer them in a series of posts over the next week or so.

5/8/2004 a letter to my pastor:
...
This brings me into my question: Where is it God's will for us to do nothing? Clearly if I believe that everything is in accordance to God's will, why would I go out of my way to stop something like slavery? Wouldn't it be in accordance to God's will for me to be frozen in indecision? What if I saw someone being beaten by their parents? Do I continue walking and say its God's will? Clearly if I feel drawn by God to do something, I will, but oftentimes like Audrey said in the senior blog, she discovers she cares only because she feels called to care. Do I force myself to care because that's what I think I'm being called to do? Do I not care because it's God's will? I really had a tough time wrapping my mind about this issue, and I wish I had the courage to ask this in the fellowship, or even during the chill time after, but I felt frozen. That was God's will ... right?

How do I know when it's God's will and not my will? Through prayer right? Somehow we are able to align ourselves with God's will...right? I just don't know. I felt like I could firmly believe in predestination, that God was in absolute control of my life, simply because of the fact that if I was in charge, my life would be in tatters. But yet at the same time, it seems like believing that God is in control allows me to kind of escape many of the issues that I need help dealing with. I see myself responding to a great number of things simply with "Well, God's in charge and there's nothing I can do." which seems like a wrong mentality. I'm not saying that depending on God is wrong, but this belief that I don't have to do anything, but yet that's the mentality I see myself sinking into.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to leave the computer soon, so I'm not going to try an in-depth response. I will say that I see Calvin's "Faith alone saves, but the faith that saves is not alone" applying to the issue of predestination. A person who is regenerated is not going to stop growing, not going to not care about God and serving others.  

~

Drop a thought