Drinking Deeply

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 at 2:47 PM

Statement of Faith (1.1)

This is really kind of aside from the statement of faith kind of business, but there are a few things brought up in the comments that I thought it would be good to address:

1) There is a distinction between "knowledge" and "true knowledge." The reformers made the distinction at: Knowledge, Assent, and Truth. Apparently it's head knowledge to heart knowledge to acting out in body (according to my pastor).

Of course, since I don't think the Bible teaches a distinction between the head and the heart, I don't like the terms "head knowledge" and "heart knowledge." Additionally, I don't think the Bible teaches a distinction between heart knowledge and living out the faith so I'll dispense with that too. I guess I referenced the reformers just to say I don't agree with them. *laughs* How presumptuous of me!

I will phrase it this way: It is entirely possible to have a knowledge of something, to be able to repeat the words properly, to know the answers to the question, without actually understanding the underlying concepts. I can say all day that Calvinism is true, I can prove it from Scripture, I can do all sorts of stuff, but without God quickening my heart and opening it to the true depth of meaning (and it's implications to my life), my knowledge is not really knowledge, but rather it is a bare repetition of words devoid of the concepts that are attached to them.

This is "bare knowledge."

True knowledge requires this "bare knowledge." I cannot live something out if I do not actually know what that "living out" is or what I am "living out." But it's also something more. True knowledge as I'm using it is accompanied by God's opening my mind to actually understand what my mouth is saying. A true knowledge is the knowledge that I was talking about in my previous post. This is a knowledge that is always accompanied by good works, for faith without works is dead (As a side note, this is why I didn't like the heart -> body connection, if it's in the heart, it will bear fruit in the body). But it can be distinguished apart from the good works because it is the root of the works, and not the other way around.

2) "If we treat theology as the end of theology, then we risk becoming self-inflated: rather, humility before God and others is the end of theology."

While I agree that proper theology should result in humility (James 3), I don't agree that humility is the end of theology. I still believe that theology is an end in itself. It should (properly done) result in good works and moral uprightness, but it is the study of the ultimate. To know God is the highest end of man and theology is that very exercise.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought