Drinking Deeply

Friday, November 18, 2005 at 2:53 PM

Common Grace (2)

Continuing from the previous post, some further thoughts to try to clarify.

1) There is a special grace given to believers. This is something that saves them. Redemptive grace (this is what I’ll call it) saves. It is purchased upon the cross by the act of Jesus Christ. Along with this redemptive grace come (but is not limited to): faith, sanctification, marriage, good gifts, blessings, fellowship, church, and eternity.

2) Those predestined to destruction seem also to enjoy momentary blessings in life as well. These include (but not limited to): Existence, marriage, pleasure, sun, and rain.

The issue at hand (for me at least) is: Do we call the gifts given to those predestined to destruction acts of “grace?” Truly those things are undeserved and unmerited. They are also acts of God’s kindness and patience.

BUT, and this is the big “but” for me, the end of all these things is to store up wrath in destruction for these people so that God’s glory may be shown in their destruction.

To put this in an analogy: Say I have 10 dollars. I know you’re going to spend it on Bibles for the poor or something and give generously in faith. I give you the 10 dollars. Cool. That’s nice of me, it leads me to worship God, and it leads to God being glorified. Everyone wins.

Now, say I have 10 dollars, and I know if I give it to you, you’re going to spend it on alcohol and drugs, and ruin yourself. Now, I give you the 10 dollars because I want you to do that so that those who see you will learn a lesson (and learn to fear God and so on).

Now, of course analogies (especially with regard to God) are very poor arguments, but this is how I’m currently seeing it.

The question is: Though I was being nice to both people, my chief intent was kindness and love towards one, and desire for destruction towards the other.

Was the second one an act of grace?

Of course, this idea of “grace” is also tied to “Does God love everyone?” If we take the idea of common grace, then we say, “Yes, God loves everyone, but not equally.” If we take the view that I am currently leaning towards, we say, “Well… no, at least, not in the way the Bible defines love. It looks like kindness to us, but in the end He doesn’t.” Is that scary? Yeah it is. But no more scarier than “Jacob I loved, Esau I hated.” Or “I will call them Lo-ammi (which means not my people).” ::shrug:: more thoughts

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought