Drinking Deeply

Monday, September 19, 2005 at 7:53 PM

Vision Summer School Thoughts (7) - Fellowship

All the posts in this series are done. Read them here

~~~

Well, that was the revival.

That was a bit negative, so I've decided to post on something positive. Really positive.

I had the pleasure of visiting College Church in Wheaton the last two weeks. The senior pastor, Kent Hughes, just started a series on Philippians. Last week, he touched on what it meant that Paul called the Philippians "partners (literally, fellowship) of the Gospel." In short they were in fellowship because they were totally committed to the Gospel. Fellowship was where friends share a common goal.

Alaska was where I felt fellowship. I know, I know. I'm part of a Christian fellowship at college, and yes, I do feel fellowship there at times as well, but Alaska was... different. I think it was the day in and day out thing. I had the blessing to pray daily with brothers and sisters, to eat, to laugh and hang out, to support and encourage, to love and be loved, all for God's glory. We all were seeking simply to glorify God and to share His love with our kids, with one another. It leaked into everything we did.

Wow.

Though I must confess, my position on the revivial did dampen this a little bit, because I do feel like we parted ways a little bit there, but we still affirmed one another as brothers and sisters, we still served one another, we still loved one another, we still prayed for one another.

I wish I had more of that. I wish our fellowship didn't have to be cut short (and it was cut short, pretty much right as the month ended, though we stayed two more days). I hoped it would last past that, past when we returned, but yeah, with most of the people there it has more or less stopped.

Fellowship was hard. There were times of suffering, anger, disagreement, boredom, tiredness (a lot of tiredness). But one thing kept us going. One thing kept us together. Late nights, desperate prayers. We wanted, we had to share God.

One thing I wish though, was that we got into a few good discussions, but honestly not enough. We didn't have a Bible study, which I thought was really unfortunate. We had the morning devotionals, but eventually sleep became more valuable than that (no excuse I know), but I wish, desperately wish I could have learned more about my brothers and sisters that I was waging war against Satan with. I knew what I thought. I knew a little bit what Rob, Wesley, and Andrew thought, but everyone else... just . Awells.

Phil. 1:3-6

3I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, 4always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, 5because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. 6And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought