Drinking Deeply

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 at 2:21 PM

God is pretty cool

So the coolest thing happened while I was at work yesterday. I work at a farmstand and this particular day not too many people were coming so I stood around for chunks of time. Usually I bring something to read, but that day I thought it was going to be busy, so I didn't bother (I would have brought JI Packer's Knowing God, an excellent book for those who are interested).

So I decided to just pray while standing. Alaska, my fellow teachers, my home church, my church in Cali, the south... and so on and so forth. Unfortunately, as I thought more and more about it, I started looking more inside, more at how much we were broken. The resounding theme for most of the prayer requests was church politics, and how much they suck. Well, it was kind of rough.

But, by God's grace, He led someone to visit the farmstand a few minutes later. Apparently she had seen me reading Back to Basics (last summer) and remembered me and asked me how I was doing, what I was reading, what I thought about it. She mentioned that she prayed for me (WOW!) even though she had only met me once. So we discussed a little bit about what I was reading now (and my only issue with JI Packer's book) and she was like "wow, it sounds like you really like the intellectual side of Christianity, well if you really like sound exegesis and biblical preaching, you're welcome to come check out our church, the pastor is a friend if Packer's"

I nearly cried with joy. She said sound exegesis in a sentence! This was something that I really really was looking for. Something that I felt that I really needed. So I got the name of the church and I told her I'd check it out on Sunday.

That really made my day, it brought to mind the passage in Kings where God tells Isaiah that He has preserved a remnant. Not that I was feeling alone (the various God-centered blogs are quite a blessing), but just sometimes I felt like I was quite alone in my viewpoints on the intellectual aspect of Christianity, especially in my day to day discussion. People always seem to emphasize the "emotion" over the knowledge. I even got into a discussion with one person when I made the claim that it was from Scripture that we know how to pray. But that's a whole other topic.

So praise be to God. He is sovereign. He will redeem. He will restore. He will preserve. He will persevere. Life is about Him, not about what obstacles I perceive to be in front of me, but the glory that has yet to be revealed in me by Him.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger cwu said...

coolio..
you work a farmstand..hahaha

God is pretty great isn't he? you feel alone in something, and God shows you that you're never alone

hahahaha sorry i had to laugh when you were estastic over the fact that that women used sound exegis in a sentence. i can imagine you asking a girl out based totally on the fact that she can use sound exegis in a sentence.  

~

Blogger cwu said...

whoops...i spelled it wrong both times...hahahahaha

sound exegesis  

~

Blogger Frank Martens said...

cwu, my sister fears the same about me :)  

~

Drop a thought