Drinking Deeply

Monday, September 19, 2005 at 9:52 PM

Book Review: Humility: True Greatness

Sovereign Grace Ministries had a "blogging for books" opportunity, and by God's grace I was able to get on board before it closed. I got a pdf file of the book Humility: True Greatness by C.J. Mahaney and was asked to do a review of it. Well, here it is:

This book was solid. It ran me through the problem with pride that all people suffer from and the Bible's teaching on humility to begin. Then the author detailed some ways to fight against pride and to cultivate humility.

For a person who struggles all the time with pride this was an incredible read. Bible-based, Gospel centered, truths that cut me to the heart, followed by God-centered steps to seeking to mortify pride and cultivate humility. Many of the suggestions are things that any Christian should be doing anyway (except for the playing golf part, I must confess that chapter seemed out of place). Learning about the doctrine of God. Learning about the doctrine of man. Learning about the doctrine of Sin. Looking for grace. Encouraging others. All things that I as a Christian should have been doing already, and I would like to claim that I've tried... but always, always, that pride is there. Convicting, but always Gospel centered, just the way the Bible is. Whamo!

Who should read this book? I would say everyone who struggles with pride. And if we claim we don't struggle with pride... ::grins:: haha =).

While the book hasn't been printed yet (late October is the date), I would strongly suggest any and all to read the book at one point or another.

Tim Challis has a preview of the same book here.
For an intro and a sample chapter: here.

Can I also use this time to make a plug for the book that holds the title of "Most influence per page other than the Bible"? C.J. Mahaney has also authored an amazing book on sanctification called: The Cross-Centered Life. I received it early as a Christian and didn't really understand what the big deal about it was until I went back and reread it last year. Wow.

My recommendation: Own it

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Frank Martens said...

I wish that I would have known about this I would not have pre-ordered the book :)

Oh well, I look forward to reading it.

Cheers  

~

Drop a thought