Drinking Deeply

Thursday, August 18, 2005 at 4:13 PM

Vision Summer School Thoughts (2) - Prayer

All the posts in this series are done. Read them here

~~~

Another thing that came up at VSS was prayer. There were a couple people there that prayed for everything. And I mean everything. Prayer constantly offered for bumps and bruises, for school, homework, job. Not just "major" things, but everything. This amazed me. I don't know. I always thought to myself that I didn't want to waste time on "worthless" prayers. But thinking about it, I cannot think of a single verse in the Bible which commands us not to pray. There are verses that speak out against praying to impress people, or praying to impress God, but I can't think of anything anywhere that would speak out against offering up prayer. In fact, all the verses I can think of are all about "pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances"

But yet there is something that holds me back. There is something inside of me that is saying "oh I don't want to waste God's time with such tiny things" when I know (and can prove) that I should be thanking God for everything constantly humbling myself instead of believing that I can do anything. It is in and through God that I can do anything. Because of this, I should be praying for anything and everything, because nothing occurs apart from God's will! Who am I to think that I can handle this exam, this problem set, this quiz on my own? Who am I to think that I can handle anything on my own?

But yet I see within me my sinful nature, seeking always to put "me" first and to trust in "my" abilities. ::sigh:: I need the power to pray, not only for the big things, but for the little ones too.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16Rejoice always, 17pray without ceasing, 18give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
James 5:13-18
13Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. 14Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.[b] 17Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. 18Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit.
James 4 (Though here the context is a little different)
You do not have, because you do not ask God. 3When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.
::sigh:: Prayer is such a mountain moving thing. It's invoking the name of the Almighty and Awesome! Most powerful! How can I continue to have such a hard heart to such a great gift? But yet I do.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Frank Martens said...

Yo,

Good post, I've been wrestling through this one myself lately with some things in my own life and giving it up to Christ.

By the way, I like the new look.

Cheers  

~

Drop a thought