Drinking Deeply

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 at 1:27 PM

More good reads

More good reads

This collection is a bit more eclectic. I’ve had the blessing of stumbling across some excellent blogroll aggregators. Basically they take a whole bunch of blogs and they combine it into one list, so that whenever one of them is updated, I can view that one.

Apologetics Alliance

League of Reformed Bloggers

Those two are the ones I got most of my links from today.

Without further ado, a few good reads since I last posted.

Steven Camp has another good post on the worshipping God, and what isn’t worship. I think it’s especially relevant and a necessary warning. (Though I don’t think I ever saw his “what is worship” post)

3:17 has a good post quoting JI Packer on how we read our Bibles.

Tom has a good post on measuring success in ministry. (HT: effective web ministry notes)

Matt Powell gives an excellent treatment of a plain interpretation of Genesis 1. The more I read about it, the more convinced I am that only a literal 7 day creation story holds water.

Steve Hays has a good post reflecting on Hiroshima.

Vincent Cheung had a book online on Biblical Healing. I read it. It was really clear and Scriptural. I must admit that going to that book, I didn’t agree with some of what he said, but he backed it up with pretty clear exegesis. Bleh, I hate it when I’m wrong =p

Finally, God graced me with two awesome discussions on Calvinism yesterday evening. I love talking about Calvinism and the Sovereignty of God (almost as much as I love talking and reading about God). It always brings me to such great humbleness and worship. Charles Spurgeon has an amazing sermon on Calvinism. An excerpt:

I have my own private opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. I do not believe we can preach the gospel, if we do not preach justification by faith, without works; nor unless we preach the sovereignty of God in His dispensation of grace; nor unless we exalt the electing, unchangeable, eternal, immutable, conquering love of Jehovah; nor do I think we can preach the gospel, unless we base it upon the special and particular redemption of His elect and chosen people which Christ wrought out upon the cross; nor can I comprehend a gospel which lets saints fall away after they are called, and suffers the children of God to be burned in the fires of damnation after having once believed in Jesus. Such a gospel I abhor.


I plan to post a little bit more on Calvinism in the future. So many posts to write, so little time. Actually, so much laziness.

An update on my mother: She is totally fine. She chipped a bone in her back, so in order for it to heal properly she is unable to leave the bed until they get her a brace, but everything else is fine. Thanks for all your prayers. Please continue to keep her (and me) in your prayers as you feel led to.

Praise be to the Father above!

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Julianne said...

Hey, great blog. I know what you mean about loving to talk about calvinism. The problem is, it is rare that I get the opportunities to talk to others in person. There just doesn't seem to be any other people where I live who enjoy it. This keeps me focused on what God desires of me though. What I mean is, do I love calvinism purely for discussions sake? Or, do I love calvinism because it points and reveals God for Who He really is, in order that I might worship and adore Him more? Anyway, I like your post. SDG  

~

Drop a thought