Drinking Deeply

Sunday, August 28, 2005 at 1:24 AM

Heresy 101 Part 1

What follows is entirely false. I post it for your edification, not because I think it's true, but because I think it poses a challenge (a fairly simple one) to modern day Christianity. I have a response for why I think the following is completely false, but I would encourage my readers to figure that out themselves because guess what? It's going to come up in one form or another.

Once again, this is all wrong. I would never actually agree to the main thesis of what I am about to write.

~~~~~~

Thesis: Gay marriage should be allowed, legalized, and supported.

1) Because no where in the Bible is a monogamous relationship condemned. Even the texts of Romans and Leviticus all point to an underlying lust and immorality. It isn't unnatural for people who are born homosexual (and yes, people are born homosexual, science proves it) to be homosexual. Scripture only condemns what is unnatural in those passages.

2) We actually have an example of such a relationship! Examine Jonathan and David. 1 Samuel 18:1 reads "As soon as he had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul." What do we see here? Jonathan loved David as his own soul! Don't we see parallels between God's original decree that two shall become one? Notice also later on in the text David makes a covenant with Jonathan! 1 Samuel 18:3 reads " Then Jonathan made a covenant with David, because he loved him as his own soul." A covenant! Just like marriage! Why? Because Jonathan loved David as his own soul. Aren't our marriages covenants because of love as well? Finally we see 2 Samuel 1, David's lament after the deaths of Saul and Jonathan. Verse 25-26 reads

"How the mighty have fallen
in the midst of the battle!

"Jonathan lies slain on your high places.

I am distressed for you, my brother Jonathan;
very pleasant have you been to me;
your love to me was extraordinary,
surpassing the love of women. "

David remarks on Jonathan's great love, claiming to be greater, surpassing the love of women! Jonathan loved David more then women did! Now, isn't this a monogamous homosexual relationship?

Therefore my case is made. In light of point 2, where we see David having a homosexual relationship with Jonathan, we can look at point 1 and see that the texts don't explicitly condemn homosexual relationship, but rather unnatural relationships. Jonathan and David are totally natural. Thus we should support homosexual relationships.

QED

(Once again, I reemphasize that what I wrote is completely false)

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought