Drinking Deeply

Monday, August 22, 2005 at 9:27 PM

Civil Obedience

Romans 13
1Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. 2Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. 3For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, 4for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience. 6For the same reason you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing. 7Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed.
So I've been selected to be part of a jury. Since it's still going on I can't really talk about it, but I just wanted to drop a note before I forgot. It truly is a pleasure and a blessing to be part of the judicial system and it's cool just seeing how it works. I must admit it seems to take forever, but I think about what I would want to happen if I were someone who was on trial and I think I would fight tooth and claw for a fair and impartial jury. It's also a little bit of a scary feeling to know that I'm part of God's justice system! Coram Deo indeed!

A note on the proceedings:

Proverbs 18:17 comes into mind a lot:
17The one who states his case first seems right,
until the other comes and examines him.
So often I find myself being swayed by rhetoric and verbal side stepping it's hard to focus upon the logic and actual argument at times.

I also just finished going through a couple minor prophets. All about establishing justice and seeking righteousness and not being impartial. Plus judgment. Scary stuff (but awesome at the same time, knowing that we have a just God, one that will repay everyone for all that they've done, that there is no unfairness or impartiality).

Reading: Knowing God by J.I. Packer

Good stuff.

Finally, pictures from Alaska are up. I miss Alaska dearly (and I'm still trying to gather my thoughts to reflect on the rest of it). The kids are soooo cute!


This one always has a special place in my heart =p (I think because she was nice to me, instead of running away in terror like many of the other ones =p)

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shes adorable! Your photos are awesome :-D

-Allie  

~

Drop a thought