Drinking Deeply

Sunday, July 03, 2005 at 10:45 PM

You learn something new everyday

So oftentimes I imagine my conversion experience much like Andrew and Peter, mostly because I couldn't explain it. Looking back at it, all it was was a blind commitment, a realization that something was missing and a hope (and desire) to fill it. I had always thought about it like it was essentially a "drop your nets and follow me" idea.

Well, today I was reading and I came across James White referencing in Letters to a Mormon Elder (an excellent read by the way) the fact that both Andrew and Peter were originally called in a different circumstance in John 1! His explanation with it's contrast to Matthew was that John was the first meeting, and then after a while they went back fishing, then Jesus bumped into them again and called them for the rest of their lives. This would explain how they could just drop their nets and follow Jesus, because they had already encountered Him!

I think this is a pretty interesting (and very good) explanation, though it now leaves me very much without a story to a large extent =) Awells. God will provide.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought