Drinking Deeply

Saturday, July 02, 2005 at 11:31 PM

One Pure and Holy Passion

James 1 reads:

5
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

So today someone mentioned to me that she as well as her class was reading a book together. Since it is very rare for even one person to be reading a book on their own nowadays, I was really encouraged that a group would get together in the interests of growing spiritually to read a book together and discuss it. It was pretty cool and quite encouraging until she mentioned that they were reading Captivating by John Eldredge. While I hadn't read the book myself I had read Wild at Heart and in all honesty I was no where near a big fan of it. While this post isn't meant to be a critique of the books, I do believe that the readers should stay away from John Eldredge. Tim Challis has reviews on him here. In short, I didn't agree with much of what he said theologically and felt that there was much there that he took out of context, with poor application, and the overarching message was against the grain of Scripture.

So thus the issue was, how does one respond to something like this? It is the second time I've heard of a group of people (both times girls, most likely because guys just don't read) reading a book together without someone older supervising or guiding, and both times I have had major issues with the book of choice, theological issues. Did I think it was completely worthless? Not quite, but I did feel that the value of much of the book was so overwhelmed by the falseness of the rest that there is much more value just reading Scripture independently and asking someone when one has questions. There is so much more we can learn that we never even heard of!

Well, since I was in no position of authority over these people, I merely just voiced my concerns about the books and the authors and pointed to some websites that had reviews that I agreed with and thought they might look at. I guess that's all I can do.

The response: "but the fact is.....it has helped a lot of women out there... and it has helped me"

Your will be done. Your Kingdom come.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Anonymous Esther Liu said...

hmmm i agree with you concerning certain points in the book... but hey, like any self-help, self-worth book... just gotta censor it for yourself :)  

~

Drop a thought