Drinking Deeply

Monday, June 06, 2005 at 2:21 AM

On teaching (and a disclaimer)

James 3:1
Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.
It's oftentimes very hard to keep this blog. I do see a tendency in my writings in seeking to share what I have been learning. To an extent this leads to a "teaching" position, whether I want it or not, and Scripture is pretty clear I'm to be wary of just eagerly stepping into that.

I will however continue writing for a variety of reasons:

1) Being at a point in my life where my beliefs are constantly maturing and growing, I am eager to share and take down what I'm learning (or think I'm learning).

2) Proverbs 27:17 reads, "Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." and I hope that by my putting down my thoughts in a medium in which others can leave comments or email me readily correction can come quickly readily. I hope that my readers would be quick to speak up, question, and challenge, thereby enabling me to hammer out what I believe and why, refining my beliefs and conforming them to Scripture.

3) Finally, I do hope that others may be encouraged and edified by my writings (and if this isn't happening, please let me know). There is a great deal of value in knowing that others are wrestling with similar struggles (or even knowing that others are wrestling). Oftentimes I like to share links and posts that I come across that have really encouraged me and I hope they would be encouraging to my readers as well. Finally, when I am seeking to lay out my beliefs I hope that they would bring others to examine the Scriptures and strengthen their own beliefs. Sometimes I do feel like there are things that need to be said to the community at large.

One thing I hope this blog does NOT become is my own personal "bashing" space where I tear down instead of build up. I do realize that oftentimes in my own interactions I come across as "judgmental" and "unforgiving" and that is something that I'm being stretched in. There are times when I feel Scripture speaks clearly, and I will speak clearly in defending them, but I will try my best not to direct accusations against individuals.

This is of course a fine line, since it is oftentimes an individual action that may prompt a post. The email on abortion of prime example. In retrospect, I do feel like that post was a little harsher than it needed to be, but I will leave it up as an example of where I need to grow.

So all in all, if you take offense at something I write (or wrote), please email me or leave a comment. God has been stretching me and convicting me of different things, and if He leads to be a part of that process, I would welcome it. At the same time, please realize that I am still growing (and will be forever growing). This blog is but prime example of this.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Joe L. said...

Mickey,
This is excellent, well said. I may link to this on my blog, because what you have said is such good advice for blogging, especially since we are Christians and under the authority of Christ.

Thanks for visiting my blog too!

In Christ,
Joe  

~

Anonymous Jon said...

Amen, Mickey. I simply had to echo these thoughts and link to this entry.

http://nicholsonjon.wordpress.com/2005/11/22/on-teaching/

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon  

~

Drop a thought