Drinking Deeply

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 at 11:40 PM

Living and Active

Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

So I'm currently reading the Bible through from cover to cover. The goal is to do it all in a summer, reading for breadth more than depth. Sometimes I feel like I miss a little bit if I don't slow down, but oftentimes I cannot help but think, "wow, I've read this before, how come I didn't see this previously?" An excellent example is reading through the Law. Wow. Be Holy, for I am Holy. Over and over and over. It's convicting and amazing just how God reveals Himself and how that plays into today even! Fearing God is the beginning of wisdom! Why? Well the Law makes it clear why. Disobey your parents - stoned. Disobey the Sabbath - stoned. Disobey God in conquest - stoned and burned. Over and over and over I wonder - Dang! How can the Isrealites be so stupid! And that always brings me to look upon my own life and ask: How can I be so stupid?

Even with all of this we see God's covenant-loving-kindness playing out over and over again. That hesed love that He demonstrates over and over to His people. They turn away, He brings judgement, they repent, He restores. Wow. Wow. Wow. Reminds me of Paul's prayer in Ephesians 3:

14For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, 15from whom every family[c] in heaven and on earth is named, 16that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith--that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 19and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

And I cannot help but to think, "wow" and thank God for this love, and this awe-inspiring picture of it played out over and over and over again.

I think I'm over using the word "wow." I think I need to create my own word to give a sense of this awe-inspiring, fear-filling, eye-opening, grace-filling demonstration of God... just being God.

On a complete side note:

Read Judges 17-18. Is it just me or is there something seriously wrong with these people?

On another side note, but more related to my original topic, I would highly encourage anyone to just reread through the OT. It's mind-blowing how much I missed the first time through. Interesting story after story, interesting law after law, conviction and repentance.

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought