Drinking Deeply

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 1:06 AM

*THUNK*

Over the past few weeks, I've gotten into the habit of saying/typing *thunk* whenever I approved of something. Slightly amusing. Today I saw Isaiah 55:8-9 in action.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord.
"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

And no other time has I felt God state this so clearly with a resounding *THUNK* than tonight.

FiCS officer elections was tonight. We gathered together to elect a president, vice-president, and treasurer for the upcoming year. I was a little interested in what was going to happen, but not that much since I was about 95% sure I was going to be a small group leader next year (I was one of two guys asked, and I was pretty sure the other one wouldn't accept because he was going to do wo-team). I had even told a friend at dinner right before "yeah, unless someone gives some amazing nomination speech, I'll probably decline if I get nominated."

(The nominations process: Someone nominates, requires a 2nd, and then nominee gets to accept or decline, after all nominations are in we vote)

We sit down, floor is open for nominations for president. If no one is nominated then it gets thrown into the current officers and they appoint people.

We sit in awkward silence for about 15 minutes as we realize that no one really had spoken with anyone about nominating them. *whew* load off of our backs, we'll just shove it to the current officers and they'll appoint people and that'll be that. Someone motions to close the floor, 2nded, a lot of ayes, and then one nay (motions need to be unanimous). We sit in awkward silence for another 5 minutes. Someone gets nominated, 2nded, but she declines. Sit... Sit... I get nominated, brief fear, but I still felt like I was going to decline, no second. *whew*

We take a 5 minute break.

Reconvene. 5...10 minutes go by. Someone else nominated, no second. Someone else nominated 2nded declines. Right around then I start to realize that I was being dragged inevitably towards God's plan. We sit for 10 minutes. Someone motions to close, 2nded, and I nay the motion. I don't actually know why. Someone nominates me (again), 2nded and I decide to accept. I felt like a nervous wreck. I really wanted to be a small group leader, I really felt more comfortable being a small group leader, I didn't feel able to plan ahead as president, I didn't feel I could handle it... but there was where I felt God dragging me.

So I was elected President, much to my surprise.
VP turned out to be Jessica
Treasurer Wendy

I felt so much like Jonah, running away from God's plan and just seeing God chuckle and be like *BAM* "Isaiah 55:8-9 Mickey!" I wanted to be a small group leader, I didn't want to work with Jessica, I didn't want to be in charge. But God comes in with a royal *THUNK* of approval.

Such is God's will. I know I am completely incapable. I know I am completely unable. I know and confess that I am nothing. Only with You O' Lord am I able even to stand. Only with You O' Lord am I able to do anything. I don't know why You wanted me to be as the physical head of this fellowship, but I acknowledge You are the true and only spiritual head of our fellowship. I will rest in you, I trust that You are sovereign, that no matter how much I may feel like I am screwing things up, You are there, Emmanuel, God with us. You are You are. To You be the glory, the power, the honor of all.

Please be praying for me. I feel a bit worried, but peaceful knowing that God is in charge, but prayers would still be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought